Theatre Performs First Play of 2015-16

Kevin+Araujo+preforming+You+Cant+Take+it+With+You+for+the+South+Houston+High+School+theater.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Theatre Performs First Play of 2015-16

Kevin Araujo preforming You Cant Take it With You for the South Houston High School theater.

Matthew Luten, Reporter

The South Houston High School’s Theatre department held its first production of “You Can’t Take It with You” on Oct. 29, 30 and Nov. 3 in the school’s auditorium. Due to weather conditions, the last performance was postponed from Oct. 31 to Nov. 3. Cast members practiced for two months before their performance dates. Attendees really got into the play.

The students’ performance captured the attention of Sarah Gadsby, English teacher at SHHS. “I really love this play so far,” she said. “I really hope that the young couple makes it through the play.”

The story also grabbed Vaneeka Harris, chemistry teacher, who said, “…it’s a good play…”

Sophomore Dustin Legget, a cast member, worried that he or others would feel too nervous and stumble over their lines, but he said he felt more comfortable with his role of Mr. Kholenkhov, the Russian ballet teacher, after performing it all three shows.

Jennifer Perales played Penelope (Penny) Sycamore, Alice Sycamore’s mother, who contributes to the Sycamore family’s craziness. Perales said “I loved my character,” she admitted “she’s so fun and outgoing and speaks her mind, like me.”

Legget encouraged others to join the theatre program. “We are a loving family,” he said about the class. “We help keep each other in check, so we can put on the best performance we can.”

The play “You Can’t Take It With You” is about two families, the Sycamores and the kirbys. Both families are wealthy. Their biggest difference is that one family works on Wall Street, and the other makes and sells fireworks. The Sycamores’ daughter and Kirbys’ son fall in love, which leads to a culture clash between the families.