Orchestra Plays First Concert

Teacher+Ovidiu+Manolache+conducts+his+orchestra+strudents+during+the+program%27s+first+concert+of+the+2015-16+school+year.+

Guillermo Barrera

Teacher Ovidiu Manolache conducts his orchestra strudents during the program’s first concert of the 2015-16 school year.

Destiny Vera, Reporter

The South Houston High School Orchestra had its first concert of the year on Oct. 6 at 7 p.m. The performance was held in the school’s auditorium with the attendance of family members, students and school staff. Besides it being the first concert of the season, it was also the first concert at SHHS for the new orchestra teacher, Ovidiu Manolache, who thought things went well despite first time jitters. “The students seemed nervous, but it was a good experience for them,” Manolache said.

The orchestra had a total of three groups preforming; Concert orchestra, Philharmonic Orchestra and Chamber Orchestra. The Concert and Philharmonic orchestra played a total of two songs each and also had a combined performance in which they played recognizable themes from Harry Potter. Chamber Orchestra played three concert pieces by Peter Warlock, Percy Faith and Domenico Dragonetti.

The mother of performer Daniel Montemayor said her son would love to be in the Houston Symphony one day. “I really liked the concert and the music they played, I love to see my son get into the arts.”

Double bass player, Sebastian Longoria, said, “We needed more practice time. Since this was a short six weeks, we weren’t completely prepared, but we managed to pull through and do our best. We didn’t sound completely bad, but we certainly could’ve done better.”

Jailenne Sanchez, junior, also would have liked more practice but was committed to do her best. “When I got there I knew I had to give it my all, and whatever happens, happens. ”

Manolache previously worked at an intermediate school for an extensive amount of time. By comparison, his current high school students, “are more mature, I don’t have to worry so much about insisting rules.” While the kids sounded nervous and timid, Manolache believes that the students still sounded good. “We will continue to work on sound quality, stage confidence and instrument technique.”