McDonalds TX Invitational Ends With Championship

Elizabeth Rodriguez, Editor

Today was the last day of the Mcdonald’s Texas Invitational tournament hosted by South Houston High School. There were 10 teams that played today which were SA Johnson, Klein Oak, Montgomery Lake Creek, Clear Creek, Deer Park, Bellaire, JJ Pearce, SB Memorial, Pearland and Katy Tompikns.

Here’s a recap of today’s games at South Houston High School.

The tournament kicked off with San Antonio Johnson playing against Klein Oak in which Johnson won with a score of 77-62. Johnson moved on to the Girls Division 1 Consolation Championship game. “I think the best thing that went well for us today was our push through,” said Coach Stephanie Desmarais.

In the next game Clear Creek defeated Montgomery Lake Creek, with a score of 60-54. Clear Creek won the Boys Division 2 Consolation 3rd place. Coach Wes Bryan from Clear Creek was excited for today’s game and stated, ”Yesterday we looked kind of tired after playing two games, so I was happy to see us knocking down some three’s today.” 

Bellaire defeated Deer Park with a score of 58-33. Bellaire won the Boys Division 2 Consolation Final.

JJ Pearce won against Spring Branch Memorial, with a score of  44-40. JJ Pearce won Division 2 Gold 3rd place. Coach David Lay from SB Memorial said he was taken by surprise because “we didn’t know much about JJ Pearce since they did come from Dallas.” on the other hand Coach Mark Johnson from JJ Pearce told us, “We take the Texas Invitational games as a learning experience because we get to play against such great teams.”

Finally the Pearland Oilers won the fight for the Championship title against the Tompkins Falcons with a score of 52-33. Coach David Koonsen from Pearland talked to us about how hard his team worked. ”It’s fun to watch how guys this early in the season are gelling and coming together like we did.”