Day 2 of McDonalds Texas Invitational Starts Bracket Play

Sofia Facundo, Reporter

Today was the second day of the Mcdonald’s Texas Invitational hosted by South Houston High School. There were fourteen teams that played today which were SA Clark, Brazoswood, Fort Bend Elkins, Sam Houston, South Houston girl’s and boy’s teams, Galena Park girl’s team, Dobie, Nimitz, North Crowley, Lewisville Hebron, Angleton, Summer Creek and Allen. 

Here’s a recap of today’s games at South Houston:

The tournament kicked off with Angleton playing against South Houston in which Angleton won with a score of 55-49. Angleton moved on to Boys Division 2 Bronze championship and South Houston moved on to Consolation for Boys Division 2 Bronze. Angleton coach Thomas Josey said, “It was up and down. We got a big lead early, and then we let them back in the game. So we had to fight for it there at the end. But we finished, and we got to win some.” He continued, “Defensively we play well; offensively we’re up and down, and we’ve got to get some consistency.” 

SA Clark defeated Brazoswood, 58-46. SA Clark moved on to Boys Division 2 Silver Championship semifinal while Brazoswood moved on to Boy’s Division 2 Silver Consolation semifinal.

Sam Houston defeated Fort Bend Elkins with a score of 46-25. Sam Houston moved on to Boys Division 1 Gold championship semifinal while Elkins moved on to the consolation semifinal. Sam Houston coach Ralph Barrera said, “I feel pretty good that we got a ‘W’. It was a grinded-out kind of game.”

South Houston won against Galena Park, 53-23 (Girls). South Houston moved on to Girl’s Division 1 Consolation semifinals. Galena Park was eliminated. 

Dobie won against Nimitz, 67-56. Dobie moves on to Boy’s Division 1 Bronze consolation Finals. 

Lewisville Hebron won against North Crowley, 52-49. Lewisville Hebron moved on Boy’s Division 1 Silver Championship Finals while North Crowley moves on to play Manvel for 3rd place in Boy’s Division 1 Silver.

Summer Creek won against Allen, 75-63. Summer Creek moves on to Boy’s Division 1 Gold Championship Finals and Allen will play for 3rd place on Saturday.