A Homecoming Game to Remember

Torrence Stevens and Jolie Villanueva at Veterans Memorial stadium field posing for quick pictures after the court announcement.

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Homecoming Game to Remember

Ruth Romero, Reporter

On Sep. 28 at Veterans Memorial Stadium,  South Houston High School played against Kingwood High School on its homecoming night. Although Kingwood dominated  much of the game and won 19-0, other homecoming activities, such as the presentation of this year’s Homecoming Court, the selection of the Homecoming king and queen and the introduction of this year’s Hall of Honor inductees, shined a positive light on a memorable day. “Even though we lost and didn’t get the win we wanted, our main focus right after was to improve and just keep on fighting and giving it are all for the next games,” Johnny White, one of the Senior football players, commented.  

Senior Court members were introduced, Jolie Villanueva and Torrence Stevens were announced queen and king, and, for the first time in 17 years, court members for the other grade levels were introduced to the crowd as well. “ Before they announced who would be the winners, I completely blanked out and was pretty nervous. Once they said said my name, I fell into shock and wasn’t taking it all in  until I saw everyone cheering and celebrating. It was a great experience that I will cherish and will look back on once I leave high school, ” Villanueva said.

“ It was a fun experience being part of the homecoming court and to win was even more great and surprising, I didn’t expect to win but I’m glad I did. It was one of the highlights of my senior year so far,” Stevens said.  

2018-19 Homecoming Court

12th grade: Torrence Stevens, Vincent Lopez, Ian Butler, Selma Lopez, Giovanna Lopez, Jolie Villanueva

11th grade: Flower Lopez, Keith Oliver

10th grade: Noe Botello, Jenna Villanueva

9th grade: Deisy Marin, Matthew Collada