South Houston High School Volleyball Teams Faced Off Against Local District Opponents

Eleazar, Reporter

The South Houston High School varsity volleyball team faced multiple opponents from Aug. 12-30, which included Galena Park, Baytown Sterling, MacArthur, Brazosport and Shadow Creek high schools. The majority of the games played against the schools were lost, but the tournament played against Shadow Creek turned out to be a victory for the Lady Trojans. The varsity team still has seven more home games until the season is over. “We have a tough district, and I think the girls are ready,” Rebecca Tolleson said. She is the assistant coach for South Houston’s varsity volleyball team

On Aug. 12, varsity lost against Galena Park and lost three sets but won two sets; the first set was won 18-25, the second set was lost 23-25, the third set was won 16-25, the fourth set was lost 22-25 and the final set was lost 15-11. On Aug. 23, varsity played against Baytown Sterling and lost three sets in a row; the first set was lost 25-20, the second set was lost 4-25 and the final set was lost 25-to-19. On Aug. 26, varsity faced MacArthur. SHHS lost three consecutive sets in a row; the first set was lost 25-23, the second set was lost 23-25, and the third was lost 25-23. On Aug. 30, varsity lost against Brazosport but barely lost all three sets; the first set was lost 25-23, the second set was lost 26-24 and the final set was lost 25-8.

During SHHS home game against Brazosport, the team performed well but communication was lost towards the end of the match when Brazosport won the first two sets.. “We were too quiet on the court,” Yesenya Badillo said. The senior is a defensive specialist for the SHHS volleyball varsity team.

Junior varsity has also played against several of the teams varsity has played. On Aug. 12, JV faced Galena Park, losing all three sets; the first set was lost 25-to-22, the second set was lost 17-to-25 and the final set was lost 19-to-25. On Aug. 19, JV played against Chavez and won; the first set was won 25-15 and the final was won 25-17. On Aug. 23, JV played against Baytown Sterling but lost two sets; the first set was lost 19-25 and the last set was lost 27-29. On Aug. 26, JV played against MacArthur and lost; the first set was won 25-20, the second set was lost 16-to-25 and the last set was lost 20-25. On Aug. 30, JV faced Brazosport and won; the first set was won 25-16 and the second set was won 20-18.

On Aug. 12, the freshman A team played against Galena Park and won two sets in a row; the first set was won with a score of 25-20 and the second set was also won 25-20. On Aug. 19, the A team faced Chavez, winning two of the three sets played; the first set was lost 21-to-25, the second set was won 25-10 and the third set was won 25-12. On Aug. 23, Freshman A played against Baytown Sterling and lost two consecutive sets; the first set was lost 17-25 and the second set was lost 19-25. On Aug. 26, Freshman A played against MacArthur and won two sets; the first set was won 25-to-14 and the second set was won 25-17. On Aug. 30, Freshman A faced Brazosport but lost both sets; the first set was lost 19-25 and the second set was lost 9-25.

In a game of volleyball the varsity teams play a total of five sets. If the opponent wins three in a row, then the game is over. Alternatively, both teams can win two games in whichever order and play a fifth game, which goes up to 15 points, to determine the victor. Both JV and freshman teams play a total of three sets. Whoever wins two sets in a row wins, if one set is won and the next set is lost, both teams would play another set. There is also a score cap at 30 points per set.