Indoor Drumline Takes The Championship

Destiny Vera, Reporter

South Houston High School’s Indoor Drumline won the state championship at the TCGC Percussion Championships at Reed Arena in College Station on Apr. 3. This was the first year South Houston has ever had an indoor drumline, so winning the competition was unexpected. Heather Hall, the percussion teacher at South Houston high school, led the group. “I was thrilled for the kids because of the amount of work that they put in for the season and how much they grew, ” Hall said. “It was their reward for all the hard work and time they put into the show.”

The students practiced on a variety of drums including snare, bass and tenor. The percussionists prepared vigorous with long practices going over their music and choreography for the show. “The practices were tough because we were there for a long time, standing for over five hours with only one lunch break, “Madeline Tobias, senior, said.

In the end, all that time and effort paid off. The drumline won first place and students received medals for their hard work. Freshman Gilbert Sanchez mentioned, “It’s crazy how our first year of actually competing at one of these big competitions, we win first place. It makes you feel really proud of all the work you have done, pushing through things.”