South Houston High Presents The Addams Family

Dead+ancestors+Angel+Guzman+and+Emmily+Quiroz+pose+for+a+picture+right+before+stepping+in+backstage+to+start+the+performance.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Dead ancestors Angel Guzman and Emmily Quiroz pose for a picture right before stepping in backstage to start the performance.

Valerie Lara

Valerie Lara

Valerie Lara

Valerie Lara, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Choir and theater members took the stage for their opening night of the highly anticipated musical, “The Addams Family” on Thursday, February 4th. The show ran through that Saturday, starting at 7:00 p.m. and ending at 9:30 p.m.

With a total of 10 main roles, 14 featured ancestors, 6 featured dancers and 18 chorus members, this year’s musical became known as the largest musical cast the school has ever produced. Not only was it large cast-wise, it was large set-wise. This year’s stage setup was much bigger than last year’s musical performance of “Fame”. Theatre tech and theatre teachers Jaime Martinez and Holt Kirkindoll worked on the elaborate design of the stage and the construction, along with help from theatre tech students. “[There’s] a whole lot of set changes, and it is something that no one [has] ever done before. It’s really amazing,” said John Ramirez, a senior who played the role of Gomez.

Mireya Luna, senior, who performed the role of Morticia, also believed that this show was very distinctive by it being a lot bigger in cast, set and challenge. In addition, for Luna, it was the first time to ever play a leading role in a musical and having to actually sing. “It’s definitely nerve-racking,” said Luna, who has performed in several school plays and also participates in the acting portion of debate competitions.

The long hours of after-school and weekend rehearsals ranged from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. sometimes even 10 p.m.

“We had a lot of practices. Although they were pretty long and rigorous, it was really worth it,” said Mariah Martinez, a junior who played the role of Wednesday Addams.

Act I of the musical focused on the love interest between Wednesday and Lucas, the normal average teen boy that is deeply in love with Wednesday. It also focuses on the secret that Wednesday and her father Gomez are keeping from Morticia, Wednesday’s mom and Gomez’s wife. Act I has a total of 10 songs. ACT II centers on the conflict between Gomez and Morticia that stems from the secret, while Wednesday and Lucas try to fix their relationship and Lucas’s parents try to fix theirs. The second act included a total of seven songs.

“I hope a lot of people enjoyed the Addams Family as much as I did because it really is a great show. I’m hoping that this will make people want to come see the show next year and years to come,” said Martinez.