• June 8Senior Portraits: Call Prestige to take a photo, (281) 897-8300

• September 30Follow us on Instagram at Go_SoHo_Trojans

• September 30Friend us on Facebook at SoHoTorch

• September 30Follow us on Twitter at @TorchSoHo

South Houston High Presents The Addams Family

Dead+ancestors+Angel+Guzman+and+Emmily+Quiroz+pose+for+a+picture+right+before+stepping+in+backstage+to+start+the+performance.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Dead ancestors Angel Guzman and Emmily Quiroz pose for a picture right before stepping in backstage to start the performance.

Valerie Lara

Valerie Lara

Valerie Lara

Valerie Lara, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Choir and theater members took the stage for their opening night of the highly anticipated musical, “The Addams Family” on Thursday, February 4th. The show ran through that Saturday, starting at 7:00 p.m. and ending at 9:30 p.m.

With a total of 10 main roles, 14 featured ancestors, 6 featured dancers and 18 chorus members, this year’s musical became known as the largest musical cast the school has ever produced. Not only was it large cast-wise, it was large set-wise. This year’s stage setup was much bigger than last year’s musical performance of “Fame”. Theatre tech and theatre teachers Jaime Martinez and Holt Kirkindoll worked on the elaborate design of the stage and the construction, along with help from theatre tech students. “[There’s] a whole lot of set changes, and it is something that no one [has] ever done before. It’s really amazing,” said John Ramirez, a senior who played the role of Gomez.

Mireya Luna, senior, who performed the role of Morticia, also believed that this show was very distinctive by it being a lot bigger in cast, set and challenge. In addition, for Luna, it was the first time to ever play a leading role in a musical and having to actually sing. “It’s definitely nerve-racking,” said Luna, who has performed in several school plays and also participates in the acting portion of debate competitions.

The long hours of after-school and weekend rehearsals ranged from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. sometimes even 10 p.m.

“We had a lot of practices. Although they were pretty long and rigorous, it was really worth it,” said Mariah Martinez, a junior who played the role of Wednesday Addams.

Act I of the musical focused on the love interest between Wednesday and Lucas, the normal average teen boy that is deeply in love with Wednesday. It also focuses on the secret that Wednesday and her father Gomez are keeping from Morticia, Wednesday’s mom and Gomez’s wife. Act I has a total of 10 songs. ACT II centers on the conflict between Gomez and Morticia that stems from the secret, while Wednesday and Lucas try to fix their relationship and Lucas’s parents try to fix theirs. The second act included a total of seven songs.

“I hope a lot of people enjoyed the Addams Family as much as I did because it really is a great show. I’m hoping that this will make people want to come see the show next year and years to come,” said Martinez.

1 Comment

One Response to “South Houston High Presents The Addams Family”

1. alanis on March 11th, 2016 2:23 pm

The show the students put on was impressive. I am so proud of all of the students and teachers that put in so many hours to make this production a success. Wonderful! There is such talent among our kids. It makes me proud to be a part of this community.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• South Houston High Presents The Addams Family

Fine Arts

Taking Music to State

Fine Arts

Teacher Profile: Get To Know Ngo

Fine Arts

Indoor Drumline Compete in Their First Competition of The Year

Fine Arts

The Highly Anticipated Musical, Once Upon a Mattress, Hits The Stage This Thursday Night

• Fine Arts

Trojan TV: Marching Band

• Fine Arts

Trojan TV: Marching Band

Fine Arts

Indoor Drumline Takes The Championship

Fine Arts

Mighty Trojan Bands Rock Their Christmas Concert

Fine Arts

Fourth Graders Peek Into The Music World

Fine Arts

Theatre Performs First Play of 2015-16